Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Detox 101

I like to detox. I do, it is just a fact. It is hard, and mostly crazy, but in the end it feels really great, and so I like to do it. I did "The Master Cleanse" at the end of last summer. I totally needed to be cleansed after last summer, and it worked, but man, that one was hard. In the winter, I tried one from Blessed Herb. That one was nice because it was only five days and the solution to drink was ginger flavored and the makers suggested mixing it with some organic apple juice. Dan was traveling at the time, so the kids ate pasta, couscous, and cheese for a week and I drank weird, gritty, ginger-apple juice concoction. I didn't find that quite as satisfying at the first one, but let's face it, I was less dirty.

Today is Day 1 of the Metagenics Ten Day Detox. I am mostly doing this one because I suggest to people, via my super fancy job as a nutritional coach, that they should do it. Then they ask me how it is and what it tastes like, and I can't give them an honest answer. I figured, if this summer is anything like last, I thought I would get ahead of the game and do a little work research.

What people need to know about detoxing - the highlights
  • No sugar - if you are a junkie (and you know who you are) this is hard and you will withdrawal. I, however, could really care less about sugar, so that is no biggie for me.
  • No caffeine - for the love of all that is good and pure, this is the most awful part of detoxing. I don't care about having to drink my meals for five days, eat only leafy greens, or concoct some weird apple-ginger sand like substance. I need to find a detox where all I do is drink coffee, with caffeine.
  • Don't start on a Tuesday. Tuesdays are the Devil's day and Tuesday+Detox-caffeine= HORROR (just ask my kids - they will most likely have emotional scarring from today...sorry kids! Mommy love you, really I do!)

No comments:

Post a Comment