Thursday, February 18, 2010

Life Lesson 31


At my brother's rehearsal dinner, before ankles were broken and ministers weren't coming, we drank. Well, I drank because it is very easy to hold a 14 month old on one side and sip a martini on the other. Apparently, it is not as easy to hold a baby and eat food. You see where I am going with this. So....three appletinis later (the girliest drink I think I have every ordered), I was trying to set up my 28 year old cousin, Paul with my brother's 37 year-old friend. Although, I still don't see what is wrong with that.

The next morning was pretty rough. Making my journey to the bar at the wedding, very slow. So slow, in fact, that I didn't really go there. That is, until my 21 year old cousin, Alyssa, berated me and told me how disappointed she was that we would not be drinking together - have I mentioned she drinks pink wine? But the truth is, I wanted to drink with Alyssa, because she is a "Good Time Charlie" and fun to be with. And it is fun that my "little" cousins aren't actually little anymore. We then headed to the bar together, meeting in the middle of pink white and red wine, and ordered a glass of Pinot Grigio and two for the walk back to our table. Game on, I guess.

Later that evening, when and old friend of my brother's caught up with me, oddly, at the bar, and suggested we do a shot, caught up in the moment I agreed. Fortutely the hangover gods were looking over me and it was too late to take a shot, but not too late to get a glass of tequila the size of a shot. You read that right, tequila. I am sick just thinking about it. I took a small sip and quickly decided that without salt and some sour mix, that just wouldn't be happening. But when Alyssa arrived to the bar to find that I was doing shots, and I offered her my glass of tequila, well, she drank it.

The next morning, our exchange went something like this:
Alyssa "I'm dying."
blah, blah blah
Kristen "Well, you didn't have to drink the tequila, I didn't. I'm no fool."
Alyssa "Well, I guess I am."

And that is the difference between being 21 and 31 at an open bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment