Thursday, April 1, 2010

Missed Calling

There are a lot of random jobs that I would like to have. Top of my list, and anyone who really knows me can confirm this to be true, is to be a color namer. Crayons, paint chips, markers, car finishes. I may have mentioned this is a post before. I really, really wish I knew how to get this job. I used to like to play name the color while Dan and I were driving from MA to NJ. As cars would pass I would have to come up with some creative name for the color of the passing cars. Doesn't that sound like a fun way to spend a three hour drive?

Lately, Dan and I have been watching a lot of Holmes on Homes on HGTV. This guy is awesome regardless of the Carthart overalls and white, beefy tank or the fabulous Canadian accent that makes me want to start a drinking game for every time I hear, "eh?", "hoose" or "aboot". If you haven't seen it, he goes into people's houses who have, for lack of a better word, been screwed by their previous contractor. So far, 98% of the episodes I have seen, he goes in to fix a wall and ends up gutting three rooms. Dan and I often find ourselves staring around at our sadly "finished" basement, which will have to be gutted thanks to this last rainstorm, wondering what dirty secrets are hidden behind our walls.

However, demo and gutting are not the callings I have missed. Masonry. Yes, I should have been a brick layer or cement pourer. I know the cement broom smoother thing has a real name, and perhaps I should learn it, but for now I find my Zen just watching these talented men make it all neat and uniform and clean.

And think of the fun I would have coming up with names for gray cement!


No comments:

Post a Comment