Friday, March 27, 2009

In the Kitchen


I like to cook.  And now that I am a stay-at-home person, I feel like it is part of my job description to create intersting and flavorful fare for my family to eat.  And by family, I mean my husband because Natalie will only eat five things and Joe Joe the Bro Bro, well....only eats one for the time being.   

Each week I sit down and make a menu to vary the foods we consume-- a night for some sort of pasta, chicken, beef, fish, pork and vegetarian option.  With this menu making, I try new things each week in an attempt to broaden our (my husband's) horizons.

However, I am finding that with each of these new recipes, there is some random or obscure ingredient that I need to purchase for a tablespoon worth.  I think there should be some swap store or bulk bin to purchase such ingredients.  I want to be able to walk into my local grocery store or whole foods and leave with only two tablespoons of red curry paste or a quarter cup of walnut oil.  These ingredients are taking up valuable cabinet space for important things that are used on a regular basis, like extra virgin olive oil and sea salt.

For the eight of you who read this, I know there must be more purposes  (cooking or otherwise) for the following ingredients:

  1. Walnut Oil purchased for a red snapper dish that I never even made because I couldn't find red snapper.  The bottled is still sealed having been bought at least four years ago.
  2. Tandoori Paste that I used for one Indian chicken dish
  3. Panko breadcrumbs these were just purchased this week for a broccoli dish.  They are made from the center of the bread rather than the crust...I suppose I could have just bought some bread and made them myself and then I wouldn't be in this predicament of sorts.
  4. Tarragon Wine Vinegar I have no idea why I have this, but I have a lot of it.
  5. Red Curry Paste - also still sealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment