Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Fruits of My Labor

My dear friend, Steve, likes to tease that I live in the country.  But the fact of the matter is that I live next to the country.   This allows me to say that I live in Middlesex County, rather than Worcester County, with all the benefits of country living.  My favorite of which is fruit picking season.  There are a number of family owned, seasonal farms just up the road from our house.  While I was pregnant with Natalie, we stumbled upon pick-your-own strawberries.  There is nothing like this, except maybe PYO apples or PYO blueberries, or...okay there are some things like it.  But with the strawberries, they are the most vibrant red color I have ever seen, they make this amazing pop sound when you pick them, akin to the seal of jar breaking, and they literally melt in your mouth.  This is no exaggeration. 



The best part of this year's picking is that Natalie was really into the picking part.  In the past is was just about the eating.  She still came home a red, sticky, juicy mess, but most of the berries ended up in her carton.  She was so pleased with her collection, I think she didn't want to eat any of them. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment